Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chanel Ombres Matelassées in Charming (Holiday 2013)



I'm planning on travelling a bit this holiday season, and realized that I don't own a travel-friendly, basic, neutral palette. It gave me a perfect excuse to pick up this lovely Chanel Ombres Matelassées eyeshadow palette in Charming.  Now, I usually don't go for Chanel eyeshadows because the quality usually isn't up to par with it's high price tag.  But after reading raving reviews from other people and swatching it in store, I decided to just go for it.



Packaging is standard Chanel.  I like this palette for travelling because it's protective, not too bulky, and light.   The large mirror is also handy.



When it comes to eyeshadow, I'm a neturals girl all the way.  I enjoy seeing bright and more adventurous colors on other people (and dabbling in them myself from time to time!), but when I'm sleepily applying my makeup at 6:00 AM in the morning, I tend to just stick to what I know works on me.

This palette comes with 5 colors that I can create almost any eye look with.  The pans are unlabeled, so I'll describe them from left to right:
  • A shimmery, light pinky-beige highlight.  This one is very close to my skin tone and is nearly invisible in my swatch picture.  The shimmer is lovely, though!  Useful for the inner 1/3 of my eye and in the inner corners.
  • A matte, neutral/slightly warm brown.  Perfect for adding natural depth to the crease.
  • A sparkly, coppery brown.  Contains a fair amount of gold shimmer.  My personal fave!  I'll be using this as an all-over lid color.
  • A matte darker brown.  I imagine this one might lean a little warm on other skin tones, but it looks very neutral on my skin.  This would be good for darkening the outer 1/3 of the eye.
  • A matte, dark purpley grey.  This one is interesting - not quite purple, not quite grey/taupe.  I love lining my eyes with this.


Overall, I find the pigmentation and lasting power to be quite good.  Not mindblowingly, Earth-shatteringly amazing, but definitely above average and perfect for everyday use.  The things I like most about this palette are its perfect combination of colors, travel-friendly packaging, and solid quality.  Plus, who doesn't like a little luxury in the things they reach for the most?

Swatches:

Price: $80
Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment