Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dior Crème de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm



First off, happy new year to everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and have an even better year to come.  I spent my Christmas with my family (gingerbread houses, tree decorating, the works) and NYE in Las Vegas.  I got back to LA a few hours ago and I'm now all settled back at home.  

On to the review!  I purchased this Dior Crème de Rose lip balm right before my trip to Vegas as a little splurgey Christmas treat.  I've always just used Chapstick and the like from drugstores, so I was curious if this pricey little lip balm would be as good as I expected it to be.  


The lip balm itself is a lovely baby pink in the pot, but is clear on application.

I'll start with what I like about it:
  • The container aesthetics.  I'm a sucker for girly pink/white things, and this little pot of lip balm is stupidly cute.  It gives me a little nudge of happiness whenever I pull it out.
  • This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like the rose scent.  It's not too crazy, but definitely still noticeable.  It reminds me of a toned down version of the scent of Chanel JC blushes.
  • I also really enjoyed the texture of this product.  Not too slick, fast-absorbing, and made my lips feel quite nice and smooth.  I hate feeling like there's a lot of product just sitting on top of my lips.

And now for what I didn't care for:
  • I was expecting to be blown away by the moisturizing aspect of this lip balm.  My reaction was something more like, "Eh, it's not perfect, but it'll do."  Now for a little disclaimer - I tested this in the dry desert air in Vegas on my very dry lips.  I did notice that my lips started to feel significantly dry after ~5 hours (no eating/wiping).  But I suspect that for most people (including myself), it would be adequate for everyday use.  
  • I'm a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to cosmetics (having had acne in the past will do that to you) and I find myself worrying about how sanitary this packaging is.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't like using anything other than freshly washed fingers to apply this lip balm.  I mainly used it in the morning, night, and midday in my hotel room.  While I was out, I tended to just go for convenience and reapplied my YSL Rouge Volupte Shines or Chanel Rouge Coco Shines, which are fairly hydrating on their own.
  • I don't really mind this last point, but there was no plumping effect at all from this lip balm.  I dislike those tingly lip plumpers, so I'm glad there wasn't any of that action in this product.  On the other hand, it is advertised as a lip plumper and it failed to come through on that promise.

Overall, it's a fairly good product.  It won't do you a solid in terribly dry conditions, but it's not a like it's a dud either.  It's texture is excellent, which is why I will continue to use it -  but it's not the super lush, life-changing moisturizing product I wanted for its price tag.  I have chronically dry lips, however, so if you have more normal lips, you may find that the Dior Crème de Rose lip balm better suits your needs.

Price: $27
Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment